Waffal Content GuidelinesLast modified: February 5, 2017
Welcome to the Waffal Content Guidelines. These Guidelines describe the requirements for publishing content or promoting your landing page on the Waffal Network.
Why do we have these Guidelines? When publishers trust you to promote your content or landing page links on their properties using the Waffal Network, and when users trust you to deliver an enjoyable experience after they click on your content links, it is important to honor that trust by maintaining a certain standard of content quality and safety.
These Guidelines cover five main areas:
- Prohibited Content - Content that may not appear on the Waffal Network or on any landing page promoted using the Waffal Network.
- Prohibited Products or Services - Products or services that you may not promote using the Waffal Network.
- Restricted Products or Services - Products or services that you may promote, but with limitations.
- Content Guidelines - Guidelines for any content that appears on the Waffal Network (including images, videos, titles, content text, and branding text) and guidelines for any content that appears on landing pages (including any advertisements or other third-party content on such landing pages) promoted using the Waffal Network.
- Prohibited Practices - Things you cannot do while using the Waffal Network to promote your content or landing page.
Before we begin, some important things to note:
You are ultimately responsible for understanding and complying with all applicable laws and regulations.
We reserve the right to reject, allow, or remove any content for any reason, in our sole discretion, including content that we feel may negatively affect our users, our publishers, our competitive position, our interests, or our business philosophy.
It is important to us to ensure the quality and safety of the Waffal Network, and we work hard to enforce these Guidelines. However, we do not promise that all content appearing in or promoted by the Waffal Network comply with these Guidelines. We, of course, are not perfect, and the Waffal Network is very large, so there may be content that violates these Guidelines that we are not aware of.
In addition, these Guidelines are subject to change at any time without notice.
You may not include any of the following content on the Waffal Network or on any landing page (including on any advertisements or other third-party content on such landing page) promoted using the Waffal Network. This includes images, videos, titles, content text, branding text, and landing pages.
- Content that infringes or violates the rights of any third parties, including any copyright, trademark, privacy, publicity, or other personal or proprietary rights.
- Content that is false, deceptive, or misleading.
- Content that may be illegal in any applicable jurisdiction or that promotes illegal activity.
- Content that is hateful, discriminatory, abusive, intolerant, obscene, offensive, exploitative, harassing, threatening, or inciting violence.
- Content that promotes dangerous, violent, or harmful behavior or that we feel may otherwise cause harm to our users for any reason.
- Nudity or pornographic content.
- Content with excessive profanity or offensive language.
- Any content that is otherwise objectionable to us.
Prohibited Products or Services
You may not promote any of the following products or services using the Waffal Network. Note, this is not an exhaustive list, and it may change without notice.
Generally speaking, we do not allow you to promote any products or services that fall into any of the following categories:
- Any product or service that is illegal in any applicable jurisdiction.
- Any product or service that makes impossible or unlikely money-making claims.
- Any product or service that promises to diagnose, cure, prevent, treat, or reverse any disease, condition, or illness.
- Any product or service that we believe has a significant risk of being dangerous, illegal, fraudulent, or a scam that may cause harm to our users.
- Any product or service that is designed to enable illegal or dishonest behavior (such as a product promoting a pyramid scheme).
More specifically, here are examples of some products or services that you currently may not promote using the Waffal Network:
- "Adult" dating sites or other services offering to facilitate sexual encounters.
- 1-900 numbers.
- Credit repair services, including companies or products that offer to help repair a person's credit score.
- Firearms, weapons, fireworks, ammunition, or explosives.
- Illegal or prescription drugs.
- Tobacco or nicotine products.
- Restricted Products or Services
Waffal permits the following products and services to be promoted using the Waffal Network. However, we have decided that these products and services are sensitive. This means that content promoting these products or services are subject to certain additional restrictions in order to make sure these campaigns only appear in appropriate places, at appropriate times, to appropriate people, and in appropriate ways. This list is not exhaustive and is subject to change without notice.
- E-cigarettes and vaporizer products that do not contain nicotine, tobacco, or any illegal substance.
- Gambling products.
- Payday and short-term loans
- Political campaign advertising.
- Products or services that claim to predict the future.
- Products related to binary options or foreign exchange market trading.
- Self-improvement products that make aggressive or unrealistic claims.
- Software downloads.
- Subscription services.
- Sweepstakes or contests.
- Weight loss products.
Any content that you use in connection with the Waffal Network is subject to the following guidelines, including any images, videos, titles, content text, or branding text, and any content appearing on a landing pages.
These Guidelines are not exhaustive, and we will reject or remove any content that we believe to be harmful to our publishers or users, even if the content otherwise complies with all of our Guidelines.
This section is divided into four sections:
- Content Guidelines - applicable to any content that appears on the Waffal Network, including images, videos, titles, content text, and branding text.
- Landing Page Guidelines - applicable to landing pages (including any advertisements or other third-party content on such landing pages) linked to from your content.
- Special Note Regarding Advertisements and Other Third-Party Content on Landing Pages.
- Additional Guidelines for Content that Promotes a Product or Service.
Content includes any content that appears on the Waffal Network, including titles, images, videos, content text, and branding text.
All content must accurately reflect the subject matter and landing page that it promotes. Users who decide to view the landing page should receive an experience that they would reasonably expect from the content.
Content may not be false, misleading, or deceptive in any way and may not contain any inaccurate claims or statements. Additionally, content may not be blatant copy/paste from other websites or web pages. Any content that is made up of more than 30% copy/paste from other sites will be rejected. While it is OK and encouraged to quote other sources, it is extremely prohibited to blatantly copy/paste major segments of content from other sources.
Images & Videos
All images and videos that appear on the Waffal Network are subject to the following guidelines:
- May not contain any Prohibited Content.
- May not be deceptive.
- May not be sexually suggestive or contain nudity or simulated nudity. Are also not allowed if they give the impression of nudity, even if on closer examination they do not actually contain nudity.
- May not depict profanity or offensive language.
- May not be overly violent, grotesque, or depict dead bodies or harm to children.
- May not depict what appears to be a gun or other weapon aimed at the user.
- Should not contain excessive text, arrows, or other eye-catching gimmicks.
- Should not be of poor quality or very low resolution.
- May not violate the copyright or any other right of any third party.
- May not use the image or likeness of any celebrity or other real person without all necessary permissions.
Titles and Content Text
Titles and content text that appear on the Waffal Network are subject to the following guidelines:
- May not be blatant copy/paste of other websites, webpages, or sources.
- May not contain more than 30% content that was copy/pasted from other sources.
- May not contain any Prohibited Content.
- May not be deceptive and must accurately reflect the subject of the material and the linked landing page. Cannot attempt to mislead or deceive users about the experience they can reasonably expect if they click through to the landing page.
- Must not contain profanity or offensive words in any language.
- May not violate the trademark or any other rights of any third parties.
- Should use proper grammar and punctuation.
- Should not be in all capital letters or contain excessive punctuation (such as several exclamation marks).
- Should not incite fear, hatred, or violence.
- Should be properly written in the appropriate language for the territory that is targeted.
- May not use the name of any celebrity or other real person without all necessary permissions.
- Should not make any specific weight loss, money-making, or money-saving claims.
All content must include branding text that accurately reflects the source of the promoted content.
- Editorial content - text must contain the "Website name" and source of the content.
- Brand advertisers - text must contain the "Brand name".
- Earned media (an unpaid article written by a member) - Branding text must appear as "Member | Brand".
- Member created branded post (a brand pays a member to create content) - Branding text must appear as "Member for Brand".
- Brand created post on member page - Branding text must appear as "Member by Brand".
Text that promotes a product or service must contain the name of the product or service.
In addition, certain products or services require additional disclosures in the text:
- Text that promotes a subscription service must include the word "Subscription" at the end of the text, unless it is otherwise obvious to users that it is a subscription product.
- Text that promotes supplements must contain the word "Supplement" in the text.
- Text that promotes skin products must add "Skincare" or another descriptor after the product name that makes clear what the product is (e.g., "wrinkle reducer," "face lotion," etc.).
- Text that promotes financing, insurance, or mortgage quote leads must add "Quotes" to the branding text.
Landing Page Guidelines
All Landing Pages promoted using the Waffal Network must follow these additional guidelines. Note: These guidelines apply to all content that appears on the Landing Pages, including any advertisements or other third-party content on such Landing Pages.
- Landing pages may not contain any Prohibited Content.
- Landing pages may not contain any content that promotes a Prohibited Product or Service.
- Landing pages may not contain excessive profanity or offensive language.
- Landing pages may not contain content that is overly violent or grotesque.
- Landing pages may not contain content that contains stories about harm to children or are otherwise exploitative in any way.
- Landing pages may not violate the rights of any third party.
- Landing pages may not contain unsubstantiated or false rumors about any person.
- Landing pages should not be of significantly poor quality or provide a negative user experience.
- Landing pages may not be deceptive.
- Landing pages must deliver an experience that a user would reasonably expect to receive from the content.
- Hyperlinks on landing pages must be labeled accurately and must lead to a destination reasonably expected by a user clicking the link.
- Advertisements on landing pages must disclose that they are advertisements if it is not otherwise obvious, and, when appropriate, disclose the source of any promoted content. If a landing page is an article or gallery of pages, this guideline also applies to any ensuing article or gallery pages.
- Landing pages may not include any inaccurate or deceptive text or images, including fake or altered images. This includes images that portray a nonexistent functionality, such as a "play" button on an image that suggests onsite video capability. This also includes navigational buttons that do not lead to a place where users would reasonably expect them to lead.
- Landing pages must not have an unreasonable amount of popups or overlays. A user must be able to easily close any popup advertisements or overlays that appear in connection with the landing page.
Special Note Regarding Advertisements and Other Third-Party Content on Landing Pages
As noted above, our guidelines for landing pages apply to all content on the page, including advertisements and other third-party content. When considering such third-party content, here are some particularly important guidelines to pay attention to:
- Advertisements on the landing page must clearly disclose that they are advertisements.
- Content or links sponsored by a third party on the landing page must clearly and conspicuously be labeled as sponsored.
- Each link on the landing page that is sponsored must clearly and accurately disclose the specific source of the link. For example, see the Branding Text section for guidelines on a proper way to disclose the source of sponsored links.
- Advertisements and other third-party content must not contain any Prohibited Content and must not promote any Prohibited Products or Services.
NOTE: Some third parties may implement practices that make it more difficult for you to detect when content they provide on your landing page violates these guidelines, for example by selectively hiding infringing content from certain people but showing it to others. You are ultimately responsible for all of the content on your landing page, so we recommend that you remain vigilant and take measures to review your landing page in a manner that will allow you to circumvent these practices (e.g., browse in incognito mode).
Additional Guidelines for Landing Pages That Promote a Product or Service
Landing pages that promote a product or service must follow these additional guidelines.
- Don't use the name, image, or likeness of any celebrity or other real person without permission.
- Don't include content written or created by a third party without that third party's permission.
- You must have appropriate support for all statements you make about the product or service. False, misleading, or deceptive claims of any kind are not allowed, even if those claims are implied rather than expressly made.
- Don't include fake user comments, third-party reviews, or testimonials.
- If anyone providing a comment, endorsement, or testimonial was compensated, (including with complimentary or discounted products or services), this must be clearly and prominently disclosed (e.g., "paid endorser").
- Even if a claim about a product or service is true, or a user testimonial is true, if the claim or testimonial does not reflect the typical experience that a user can expect, you must clearly and prominently disclose that fact (e.g., "Results not typical").
- If it's not otherwise obvious, a landing page that promotes a product or service must clearly disclose that it is promotional in nature, for example by including "Advertisement" clearly and prominently on the page. Disclosures cannot be written in a size, color, or placement that makes it difficult to read or likely to go unnoticed by users.
- Your landing pages must make clear to users the page's affiliation with the product or service that the page is promoting. For example, a landing page owner that is compensated for promoting content must disclose that it is getting compensated for promoting the content.
- Landing Pages that promote a product or service may not contain any content that might give users the impression that they're viewing a page that's not promotional in nature. It must be clear to users that they are viewing promotional content, and not news or editorial content:
- Do not identify a content writer as a "reporter" or "journalist" if they're not in fact an independent reporter or journalist. And don't create a fake reporter name or use a fake reporter photo.
- Don't put a title at the top of the page that gives the impression that the page is part of a larger news or editorial content site if it isn't. The word "news" should be avoided in the site name, headline, and even the URL.
- Don't create fake header or menu navigational buttons that give the impression that the page is part of a larger news or editorial content site if it isn't. Fake navigational header buttons that lead to the promotional call-to-action are not allowed.
- Don't use language on the landing page that implies that the content is journalism or an independent review, for example by using language like "We investigated..." or "Our research shows..." or "We tested the product and..."
- Don't include fake social media icons that give the false impression that the page has greater engagement than is true.
- Don't include auto-refreshing date stamps that give the user the false impression that the content is an article that was written today, or more recently than it was actually written.
- Don't include a city byline that suggests that the landing page is a news article (such as "(NEW YORK) - New York drivers recently...")
- Do not include any content that may give reasonable users the impression that the landing page is a news or feature article, an independent product review, scientific research, or an official communication from the government.
- Don't create a false sense of urgency, for example with auto-refreshing expiration dates for offers, or countdown clocks, or false statements about the limited availability of supplies or special offers.
- Any before / after photos on landing pages must be 100% accurate and must include any appropriate disclosures to ensure that viewers are not misled.
- Don't claim or suggest to have a third-party accreditation or endorsement if the product or service does not have such accreditation or endorsement.
- Clearly and prominently disclose all material terms or promotional offers, such as free trials. Don't say that something is "free" if there is any related charge, such as shipping and handling, unless any related charges are clearly and prominently disclosed at the same time.
All of the following practices are prohibited. This is not an exhaustive list and may change without notice.
- You may not use Waffal to violate any law or regulation, or in furtherance of such a violation.
- You may only collect, store, or use personal data in a reasonable and responsible manner.
- You may not target or advertise to children under the age of 13 or store or solicit information from users under the age of 13.
- You may not abuse the Waffal network, as determined in our sole discretion. This includes:
- Websites that are designed to collect a user's personal information or harvest personal information with the intention of distributing that information without a user's consent.
- Websites or content that contains or causes the download of any spyware, malware, or software, resulting in an unexpected experience, such as the automatic download of applications without users' consent.
- "Cloaking" or using other techniques to hide the true destination that users are directed to.
- Using URLs that direct different users to different landing pages or content without a valid business or legal reason, as determined in our sole discretion.
- Using non-standard URL redirects to surreptitiously redirect users to landing pages that (1) do not match the landing page that Waffal approved for distribution and that (2) are not otherwise in compliance with our guidelines.
- Websites that contain any code or script that interferes with a user's control of the site, such as a script that takes over a web page or user's browser.
- Websites that contain pop-under advertisements, which open new browser windows hidden under the active window.
What If I Have Questions or Concerns?
If you have any questions or concerns regarding these Content Guidelines, please send us a detailed message to [email protected]