Do you know that 10% of life is made up of what happens to you and 90% of life is decided by how you react to it? What does this mean? We really have no control over 10% of what happens to us. We cannot stop the car from breaking down. The plane will be late arriving, which throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in the traffic.
We have no control over this 10%
The other 90% is different. You determine the other 90%. How? By your reaction!
You cannot control a red light. However, you can control your reaction. Do not let people fool you. You can control how you react.
For example; you are having breakfast with your family. Your daughter knocks over a cup of coffee onto your business shirt. You have no control over what has just happened. What happens next will be determined by how you react.
You harshly scold your daughter for knocking the cup over. She breaks down in tears. After scolding her, you turn to your wife and you criticize her for placing the cup too close to the edge of the table. A short verbal battle follows. You storm upstairs and change your shirt.
Back downstairs, you find your daughter has been too busy crying to finish her breakfast and getting ready to go to school. She misses the bus. Your spouse must leave immediately for work. You rush to the car and drive your daughter to school.
Consequences of your reaction
Because you are late, you drive 120 kilometers per hour in a 50 kilometer per hour speed limit zone. After a 15-minute delay and throwing $60.00 traffic fine away for violating traffic rules, you arrive at school. Your daughter runs into the building without saying goodbye. After arriving at the office 30 minute late, you realize you forgot your briefcase.
Your day has started terribly. As it continues, it seems to get worse and worse. You look forward to coming home. When you arrive home, you find a small wedge in your relationship with your wife and daughter.
Why did you have a bad day? Because of how you reacted in the morning!
You had no control over what happened with the coffee. How you reacted in those 5 seconds is what caused your bad day.
Here is what could have happened
Coffee splashes over you; Your daughter is about to cry, but You gently say; “It’s okay, honey, you just need to be more careful next time.” Taking a towel you go upstairs and change your shirt. You take your briefcase, and you come back down in time to look through the window and see your child getting on the bus. She turns and waves. You arrive 5 minutes early a cheerfully greet the staff.
Notice the difference?
Two different scenarios; both started the same. Both ended differently.
Why? Because of how you reacted, you really have no control over 10% of what happens in your life, the other 90% was determined by your reaction.
Here are some ways to apply the 90/10 Principle
• If someone says something negative about you, do not be a sponge.
• Let the attack roll off like water on glass.
• You do not have to let the negative comments affect you.
• React properly and it will not ruin your day.
• A wrong reaction could result in losing a friend, being fired, or getting stressed out.
How do you react if you are overtaken in traffic?
• Do you lose your temper and hammer on the steering wheel?
• Do you curse the traffic jam? Does your blood pressure skyrocket?
• Who cares if you arrive 10 seconds later at work?
• Why let the cars ruin your drive?
Remember the 90/10 Principle
• You are told you lost your job. Why lose sleep and get irritated? It will work out.
• Use your worrying energy and time to find a new job.
The plane is late. It is going to mangle your schedule for the day.
• Why take out your frustration on the flight attendant? She has no control over what is going on.
• Use your time to study, get to know the other passenger, why stress out? It will just make things worse.
Now you know the 90/10 Principle
• Apply it and you will be amazed at the results. You will lose nothing if you try it.
• The 90/10 Principle is incredible. Very few know and apply this Principle.
The result you will see it by yourself!
Millions of people are suffering from undeserved stress, trials, problems, and headaches.
We all must understand and apply the 90/10 Principle. It can change your life!
The 90/10 Principle can change your life!
It only takes willpower to give ourselves permission to make the experience. Absolutely everything we do, give, say, or even think, it’s like a bounce back. It will come back to us.
If we want to receive, we need to learn to give first... Maybe we will end with our hands empty, but our heart will be filled with love. Those who love life, have that feeling marked in their hearts.